My sweeties, finally, I am back for you all! I know it has been long, but while we were in Bali, we really had our first true vacation ever. We relaxed, didn’t spend much time at our laptops, phones or even taking outfit pictures.
Back in Germany, we now have to sort all those memories and impressions, so we’d like to begin with a list of 5 things that we really liked, and 5 things that we disliked about Bali. And of course, I’ll give you all the outfit information, too. After the list.
10 x Bali Top and Flop
1. We never met such incredibly friendly people anywhere in the world before. Wonderful!
2. The people driving in Bali’s traffic chaos are very conscious and careful, something quite impressive to watch.
3. The food was amazing all the time. Super fresh, tasty, spicy and soo healthy. We loved it!
4. The trash problem is slowly beginning to become more important. We discovered straws and cans made out of bamboo or metal and that is a start, right?
5. Swimming in our pool or in the Indian Ocean on a daily basis? That was simply perfect!
1. Bali isn’t made for pedestrians. Somehow, when they built the streets, they forgot us walking people and Max and I really walk A LOT. So we were really sad to discover that you simply can’t walk on this island. Only drive by motorbike or car – not very friendly towards the environnement.
2. The street sides and also the ocean were quite dirty. Not as bad as we had expected it to be, but still very dirty. We met cows that were standing on a pile of waste – that made me so sad! At least, while swimming, we tried to get as much plastic waste as possible out of the ocean.
3. The smog is also really bad in Bali, especially with this humid heat it makes your head hurt immediately. And you know, little kids are sitting in front of their parents on motorbikes, inhaling this bad air all the time! Seeing such things made me really sad.
4. So many things in Bali are laid out just for tourists which I really dislike most of the time, even though I know I’m a tourist, too. It is obvious that the Balinese only wait for all the tourists to come and buy, buy, buy. We really tried to stay away from these spots, but it didn’t always work.
5. The roads between places are soooo long, don’t make the mistake of wanting to drive from Uluwatu to Ubud or even further in one day and back. The traffic will make you go mad!
So finally, how did we like our trip in general? Well, Bali is a very colourful and crazy beautiful place but with numerous structural problems. It was lovely seeing this world once, but once is definitely enough for us and now, we will continue discovering our beautiful Europe more.
Have you ever been to Bali? How did you like it?
Photography: Max Bechmann